spoon

Rajasthani Cuisine

Category:

Rajasthan is in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent. It is located in the Thar Desert region. Rajasthan weather is typical hot & dry weather. In summer the temprature reaches up to 48 Celsius and in winter it drops to 0 Celsius. The scarcity of water and lack of fresh green vegetables farming has a significant impact on the rajasthani cuisine.

You can see the use of buttermilk and curd in the place of fresh tomato and tamarind for giving sourness in the gravies. The use of milk instead of water in gravies and also, the use of desi ghee(clarified butter)  in most of the recipes. Fresh beans(sangri) and berries(kair, gunda), mango pieces(amchur),  are dried for later use. The dried preparations like papad , badi and rabodi are made from lentils and whole grains as they could be conserved for long periods of time and proved themselves to be very useful in the early days when there was little produce in summers and transport was not so efficient. Use of bajra(millet), jawar(barley) , gram flour is prominent in the Rajasthani cuisine. Food that could last for several days and could be eaten without heating was preferred.

 

In my space here I will share several vegetarian Rajasthani delicacies with you which I have grown up eating. Thank you Dadisa (grandmom), nanisa and mummy for helping me learning all these recipes.
For the next seven days I am going to cook Rajasthani delicacy daily as I am taking part in blogging Marathon(BM) and I choose to blog under Seven Days of Regional Specials.

Comments (5)

I have made dal-baati few times. Churma is on my to-do list for a long time. Your post with mouthwatering pics is tempting me to try it soon.

Very nice, detailed pics. I had no idea these were first deep fried and then powdered and shaped into laddoos.

I am looking forward to it dear :)

They look delectable!

Nice post and love traditional food . They are definitely the best.
KFC food Coupon