spoon

Mirchi ka kuttaa/ Green chili relish

Category: , , , , ,

Blogging Marathon # 15

 

IMG_0203 - Copy

 

Mirchi ka kuttaa is a hot and sour chutney consisting of crushed green chilies.  Kuttaa means crushed in Rajasthani  language, this is one of the favorite accompaniments of Rajasthani  meals. The green chili makes it spicy while crushed mustard seeds, dry mango powder and lemon gives the sour taste. This is a side dish enriched with vitamin C.

 

Ingredients

 

  • 1 cup crushed green chili
  • 1/2 pod of Garlic
  • 1/2 tea spoon Mustard seeds
  • 1 tea spoon crushed Mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry Mango powder (aamchur)
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
  • salt to taste

 

Method

 

 

IMG_7082

 

  1. Crush the garlic in the mortar and pestle or with the rolling pin on the chopping board. Keep aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida followed by crushed garlic. Sauté it, till it changes its color to the light brown.
  3. Add Crushed green chilies. cook  it for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add turmeric powder, salt, crushed mustard seeds and cumin powder  and cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add dry Mango powder or alternatively switch off the gas and add  1 tablespoon lemon juice.
  6. Store it in a container and refrigerate. Use it as needed. It will be good for 15-20 days or more in the refrigerator.

IMG_7091

 

 

                                  

                       IMG_0202

Note

 

 

  • You can crush the mustard seeds in a spice or coffee grinder or with the help of rolling pin on the board.
  • If you do not have the traditional mortar and pastel you can crush the green chili's with the help of steel glass. This is very easy handy tip given by my kakisa (aunt) and it is very helpful to me here in the United States.

 

IMG_7085

 

Check out the photos of silbata ( traditional stone grinder) which my mom uses back home.

 

pic

 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 15

Comments (18)

this is so much like our thecha, i have tasted kutta umpteen times from the store, wud love to try this at home, loved ur pics of traditional mortar and pestle, my mom has similar one

Love the color of the relish...nice one Manisha.

ooh ! thats one spicy and yummy chutney Manisha :)


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Pickles & Preserves Fest + Giveaway
Event : CWS - Oats

love your mortar and pestle pics..never seen one like that..the ones I have/seen are usually in a cup

chutney looks fab!

Relish looks yummy. Mortar and pestle looks different.

Vardhini
CooksJoy

Chutney luks very spicy..u have perfectly explained making it in traditional way...

Hot and fiery relish,loved ur mortar and pestle.

my mouth's watering..one spicy chutney that i wud try instantly!

a fiery relish! I am sure my husband would be happy to have this!

That looks super delicious. Love the recipe. I am sure you already know about it, but if not, do check out my "Malai Mirch" recipe on my blog.

Yummy lookin lg chutney.

Wow lovely colour your grinding stone looks very nice..as such this is not called pestle and mortar I guess right..cos we call this and the other by different names and use it for different purposes also..

@ valli

Yeah exactly it is not the mortar and pastel. It is a stone grinder known as silbata in my area. I updated this info. Thanks!!

Wow! Very flavorful relish. Loved the idea of crushing chillies with steel tumbler....

Wow What a spicy chutney!You have explained it so well...

Hi yaa, I am really sorry for being late in commenting, thanks for sharing this recipe, I usually crush green chilies, ginger and garlic and use it in my every day cooking, I was planning to make in large quantity and keep it in my fridge, This has got lot more than the usual I do., I am definitely going to make this and keep, with lots of other flavours i can use it in my everyday cooking, lovely clicks and love the authentic pestle and mortar

It must be very spicy one.

totally spicy